rclone, pt. 2

October 16, 2020 — Brynn

Figured out where the 100GB of storage in my GDrive came from! Turns out I'm on my ex' Google Families, and she pays for 100GB which ends up shared across all of us (although none of them really touch it).

I figured out that after the API rate limit kicks in, I can upload to it using rclone from my Windows machine at about 18GB/hr (which works out to 40Mbps, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of my home internet). Those are pretty reasonable speeds for unattended copying, but anything interactive that requires lots of reads (like scanning metadata with Navidrome or Foobar2k) is hell, and writing media tags is even worse (GDrive doesn't support partial file updates--it needs to download it in full, then reupload in full!). I'm having difficulties getting Navidrome to even scan it fully... I think it hits an API rate limit on individual read accesses, which slows it down, and then it gives up. I set it to scan every 24 hours, in the hope that it'll try again after the rate limits reset and finish scanning.

Tags: technical, server